Questions to ask your photographer
When my sister got married she asked me about how to get the right wedding photographer for her. She wanted the photos to be special, looking as glamorous as Fearne Cotton when she married Jesse Wood.
Finding the right wedding photographer isn’t just about finding someone with the right style; it’s also about getting the right person and the right service for you. So the advice that I gave her was to look at portfolios, speak to photographers and ask some simple questions.
About the photographer
- Are you available on my date?
- How long have you been photographing weddings?
- How far in advance do I need to book?
- How would you describe your working style?
- Can you follow a shot list?
- What information will you need before the day?
- Do you know the venue already, and if not, will you need to go there before the wedding?
- Will it be you doing the photography? (If not, can I meet them before the day?)
- Will you have an assistant?
- Can you give me some references?
About the day
- Will mine be the only wedding that you will shoot on that day?
- What happens if my wedding runs over?
- Do you have spare equipment in case something breaks?
- What time will you arrive?
- How long will you spend photographing?
- How will you be dressed? (Explain the appropriate dress code!)
- What happens if you’re ill on the day?
About everything else
- What is included in the package and what do I have to pay extra for?
- How long will it take to get the proofs?
- What formats do you offer (cd, photo albums, etc?)
- Do you include an engagement shoot?
- Do you provide re-touching or colouring services?
- How long will it take for the photos to arrive after I order them?
- Will you give me the negatives/digital images?
- Will you give me a written contract? (Make sure that they say yes!)
- What is your cancellation policy?
By asking these questions, my sister was able to not only get the right man for the job, but make sure that were no nasty surprises along the way.
She was one step closer to perfect wedding pictures!