Paris by Eurostar
Paris By Eurostar
We all know that Paris is known as one of the most romantic places in the world to celebrate anniversaries, engagements or just a romantic weekend away and if its good enough for Kim and Kanye then its good enough for moi!
2014 marks Eurostar’s 20th year of operation, as the first commercial services departed London, Paris and Brussels on the 14th November 1994. In 2013, two significant and record breaking passenger milestones were passed. Eurostar carried 10 million passengers in a single year for the first time, and this landmark achievement brought the total number of passengers who have travelled with Eurostar since operations began to an impressive 140 million.
So for our 5th wedding anniversary my hubby and I decided to spend 4 days away in Paris this year. Although I’m not far from Stanstead we decided to travel via Eurostar and I can’t even begin to sing its praises enough. We easily travelled door to door via tube, Eurostar and a taxi and were at our hotel faster than you can get from London to Scotland. I’ve always been a great traveller and jumping on and off flights within a space of a week or two never phased me until all these security restrictions were applied and having a child. My jetsetting days have now become a little anxious at the thought of the usual airport frustrations. So when we travelled with Eurostar we decided to go Business Premier for a little added comfort as an anniversary treat and the slight ticket difference was well worth it. We bypassed the queue’s and after a quick security check headed into their lounge instead of wasting money in the station and very leisurely enjoyed the free wifi, big comfy chairs and endless supply of complimentary drinks, snacks and papers. Bliss! In the lounge there’s loads of plug sockets so if you need to charge your phone or mobile device, no stress its done. With the Business Premier ticket you can board unto 10minutes before departure so there’s no need to rush. The best bit for me being a Fashion Journalist obsessed in clothes is there’s no luggage weight restriction on Eurostar – you just have to be able to carry your own bags onto the train. God who needs a spa day when you’ve got Eurostar Business Travel. Living at such a fast working and manic family life my husband and I get very little time to just sit, read the papers and chat so this started our journey to a fine start.
When we boarded the train the seats had plenty of space, were mega comfy and again had plug sockets, very useful but the best bit for me was the baggage allowance! The Business Premier ticket includes all refreshments and a 3 course Raymond Blanc meal which was fantastic. The staff were incredibly helpful and courteous and they also offer to book you a taxi at the other side for added ease, which of course we went for.
Did you know
For those of you that are Eco Aware, Eurostar is ‘faster and greener than flying’
That Eurostar tickets offer much more than just travel with 2 for 1 entry to some of Europe’s most popular museums and galleries in Paris, Lille and Brussels. Travellers simply present their Eurostar ticket to take advantage of 2-for-1 entry into paying exhibitions.
Some Useful Eurostar Facts
- Each Eurostar train is 400m long – 90m longer than the Shard is tall.
- The amount of time spent in the Channel Tunnel is only 18 minutes.
- Independent research commissioned by Eurostar showing that per passenger journey, travelling by Eurostar between London and Paris or Brussels generates up to 80% fewer carbon dioxide emissions than travelling by plane.
- There are 750 seats on each train, which is almost the same number as on two Boeing 747 planes.
- Each train weighs 800 tonnes and generate 16,408 bhp – the equivalent of 20 Formula 1 racing cars.
- Less than 1% of Eurostar’s waste is sent to landfill.
- Eurostar trains operate on 3 different power lines – the English, French & Belgian.
- During the winter holiday season, Eurostar operates two services every week from London and Ashford International to Moutiers and Bourg St Maurice in the French Alps.
- Eurostar also runs a direct service to Avignon in Provence on Saturdays during the summer.
- Eurostar partners with a number of top museums and galleries in Paris, Brussels, London and Lille to offer Eurostar travellers 2 for 1 entry into permanent collections and paid for exhibitions – simply by showing their valid Eurostar ticket. More details can be found www.eurostar.com
- Eurostar operates up to 18 daily services from London St Pancras International to Paris with return fares from £69. Fastest London-Paris journey time is 2hr 15 minutes. Tickets are available from eurostar.com or 03448 224 777
- Child fares start from £49 return and children under 4 years-old travel free (not allocated a seat)
- With the option of flexible fares, Standard Premier offers the freedom to work, think, or simply unwind. You will be presented with calm, spacious surroundings with on-board staff offering a light meal and a selection of magazines. Standard Premier fares start from £189 return
- Business Premier customers can enjoy fully flexible fares, 10 minute express check-in, business lounge access, along with delicious menus created by Raymond Blanc and the perfect working environment onboard. Business Premier fares are £490 return
Not only was our journey a relaxing experience with great food, space for loads of baggage and an easy transfer to the hotel, it was lovely taking in the British and French countryside enroute.
Whilst in Paris my husband and I stayed at Le Meurice and Le Bristol, I was completely pampered at Le Meurice’s Spa. Information on both these idyllic hotels will follow shortly in my series of “Parisian” Blogs.
Thanks to Eurostar for an impeccable journey and quality service.
Written by The Ultimate Lifestylist
TV Presenter & Columnist – Naomi Isted
Follow me on Twitter/ Instagram @naomikisted